As we race towards the end of what has been another exciting and successful year at Black Dog Ride I invite you to grab a cuppa and relax for 10 minutes whilst I bring you the latest news.
Lions and Black Dog
Lions Clubs of Australia have been fantastic supporters of BDR since my inaugural solo ride around Australia in 2009. I’m very proud to be a member of such a wonderful organisation and highly recommend you consider joining your local Club. It’s a fantastic way for you to give something back to the community.
I thought I’d share a recent article on BDR which appeared in the Lions Australia Blog.
And just for fun, check out this cool Lions rap “Rockin’ the Vest“. Our Club has ordered the vests, we’re working on the rap moves but I don’t think our budget will stretch to the fabulous Cadillac featured in the video.
Unfortunately we were unsuccessful in getting any of the major TV Networks to screen the powerful BDR documentary but we received wonderful support from Community TV Channels in most States and Imparja TV in the Northern Territory. Early in the New Year Channel 31 Melbourne will screen the documentary at 7.30pm on January 2. If you are outside the Melbourne/Geelong broadcast area you can view the program when it’s streamed a few days later on Catch-Up TV.
2012 Ride to the Red Centre
I’m excited to announce the awesome Ride to the Red Centre will be back again in 2012, bigger and better. Mark this date in your calendar now, August 18. Here are some details to whet your appetite for what could be the ride of your life.
- A Saturday start so riders who can’t afford the time to go all the way to the Red Centre can ride to the first overnight stop and enjoy the camaraderie of the group and the feeling of being part of something which is really making a difference.
- Rider groups from Hobart and Canberra will join the other six Capital City groups to make it a truly national event.
- Unfortunately the Ride has outgrown Glen Helen Resort, the end destination in previous years, so Alice Springs will become the hub for the last 2 days of the Ride.
- With the help of our BDR Ambassador Angry Anderson we hope to hold a concert for the riders in the Alice. Angry is planning to do the Ride from Sydney all the way to the Red Centre on his Fraser Motorcycles’ Harley. More details soon.
Black Dog Ride Month
Whilst running the one national Ride to the Red Centre each year has been very successful in helping to raise awareness of depression around the counrty, I have been searching for a way of keeping the momentum sustained over a longer period. I am currently working on an exciting new National event which will be known as Black Dog Ride Month. At this stage a WA Ride is confirmed for April 29, 2012 and I’m hoping to have other States on board soon. The basic details of the event are:
- The month of April will become Black Dog Ride Month all over Australia.
- The basic concept is for a one day ride to take place from a chosen country town in every State and Territory. The towns would be approximately 2 hours ride from their Capital city meaning some riders would make their way there on the Saturday and others would ride there early on the Sunday.
- The Ride, of approximately 150-200 kms, would start with a breakfast and mental health expo, morning tea and lunch at the end town which would be about 2 hours from the City.
- This concept is based on a very successful BDR I have run in WA for the last 2 years. This year we had 400 riders participate.
- During the event we are hoping to set a World Record for the most “Black Dogs on Bikes” with States competing against each other for the title.
Please contact me if you are interested in helping coordinate an April BDR in your State.
Naming Rights Sponsor
An exciting opportunity is available for a business or corporation to align itself with Black Dog Ride and become part of something which is really making a difference to the mental health of our nation. Naming Rights can be negotiated for either the new Black Dog Ride Month event, the Black Dog Ride to the Red Centre or both national events. Some of the benefits to your business in forming a partnership with Black Dog Ride are:
i. increase brand awareness
ii. achieve brand association with Black Dog Ride and its Key Values
iii. reach an engaged target audience
iv. make a difference in the community
v. fulfil social responsibility
vi. increase number of brand ambassadors
For more details please contact Steve Andrews steve or m.0408 868 500.
Mend a quarrel, Seek out a forgotten friend,
Share some treasure, Give a soft answer,
Encourage youth, Keep a promise, Find the time,
Apologize if you were wrong,
Be gentle —-
Laugh a little —-Laugh a little more—-
Express your gratitude, Welcome a stranger,
Gladden the heart of a child,
Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth,
Speak your love —-
Speak it again —-
SPEAK IT STILL ONCE AGAIN…AND LET YOUR HEART BE FILLED
WITH CHRISTMAS JOY.