Greens launch Support for Schools Action Plan – an initiative to provide real progress for children with special educational needs
20 February 2013
All students must be supported at school to achieve their very best regardless of their background or circumstances, says Greens WA spokesperson for education Alison Xamon.
“Sadly, this is not the case in Western Australia,” Ms Xamon said.
“Successive WA Governments have failed to ensure that all our children get the best education they possibly can. They have not satisfactorily addressed the requirements of children with special educational needs.
“As a result of this neglect too many disadvantaged and at-risk children in WA schools are missing out on the opportunity to reach their potential.
“Failure at school has lifelong effects. The costs to the community in the long run are greater than the costs of intervening successfully during the school years.
“The Greens’ Support for Students Action Plan is a comprehensive, research-based initiative to start putting things right.”
Ms Xamon said the Support for Students Action Plan will:
- expand Schools Plus categories and expand eligibility criteria, including specific packages to address needs such as Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) and specific learning disabilities like dyslexia;
- create more individualised support options for students and schools;
- ensure that teachers and school staff receive the targeted support they need;
- improve access to diagnosis and assessment; and
- establish an Education Consumers’ Council to provide advice, advocacy and support for students and their families.
“State Governments have failed too many of these students and as a result they are leaving our schools without the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in life,” Ms Xamon said.
“With the appropriate support these children can, and will, succeed.”
Note: A copy of the Support for Schools Action Plan is available at http://greens4eastmetro.org.au/action
Hon Alison Xamon MLC
Member for the East Metropolitan Region
Office: 62 Eighth Ave Maylands WA 6051
Postal Address: PO Box 104 Maylands WA 6931
Phone: (08) 9272 1718
Fax: (08) 9272 1719
Portfolios: Water, Urban Bushland, Mental Health, Education, Training, Industrial Relations, Employment, Occupational Health & Safety, Disabilities, Women, Children & Youth, Public Service, Community Services, Electoral Affairs, Consumer Protection, Vet Affairs, Volunteering